February 15, 2010

We Crack Jokes While Singing The Blues

One of my favorite lines from my favorite artists, the Blue Scholars, is from their song "Bayani":

"Recognize it's serious but ain't afraid to clown"
This is a fabulous point. Constant negativity is boring and exhausting and we need to find ways to make this work fun. But it's very difficult to do given the hurt and pain that usually comes with facing issues of privilege.

For example, today at work my co-worker/boss said she needs to get hydrated. And I responded by saying that my piss was clear so I'm good. She immediately responded by saying something like "yea i just checked mine and its a little too yellow". I felt a little bit of revulsion.

Then I started thinking... What gives me the right to say whatever the hell I want and not think twice, but when a woman talks about or says the same thing, I throw up a little in my mouth? The answer is male privilege.

Fuck male privilege

No comments:

Post a Comment