February 10, 2010

The Definition of Privilege

One thing I have to make clear, I hate research. So unless I happen across a reference I can use, don't expect a whole lot of links to other sources. With that said, I suppose it would be appropriate to start this post with some musings about the definition of privilege.

My short, 2-word definition of privilege is an "unearned right".

The long definition would take writing down a lifetime of experiences, novels, and then making a connection between all of them. Privilege seems to be a galaxy, endless and infinitely expanding. It manifests everywhere. But why does it seem like it's still a big secret to the world? That's because it's very difficult to recognize where or what privilege is. It is the air we breath. It's like telling a fish what water is, or explaining to a penguin the concept of lift and flight. A penguin can see other birds have the privilege of flight, be envious and understand all the science that goes into flight, how to fight it, but never be able to attain it themselves.

I read something about the New York public school system where one of the children that were interviewed had a great insight. He said something along the lines of how privilege happens when a luxury becomes a necessity. So for example, before I had a car, life was great, easy, and I could get around just fine. As soon as I get a car, I forget about all that and get PISSED when my car doesn't work. Well having a car is a privilege.

There's all sorts of different privilege, many of them relating to identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment